Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I'm coming, I'm coming...

I must echo Lindsay is that so much has happened in the past two weeks that unfortunately I can't share everything! I am tired from a long day of brainstorm (see below) and in a slight panic since I can't get into any courses that I want, but as a Ghanaian would say, I will write small and it will be fine.

Our midsummer retreat was pretty amazing and I've added a few pictures from there below, although it's funny because a lot of the pictures that I wanted to add were the exact same ones that Lindsay did, so I guess great mind think alike. Lindsay talked about what we did, and I would like to add that we played a lot of Euchre and Wizard, had a huge book swap (I'm almost through Guns, Germs and Steel), and had many interesting discussions about Ghana, our projects, development, QPID, infinity, love, relationships, motivation, school, food, camping, traveling...the list goes on.

After our midsummer retreat, Lindsey and I moved to our next community, Adanwomase, which is a Kente weaving town. Kente is traditional cloth that Ghanaians hand weave (as seen in the picture). Everyone in the town weaved Kente or owned a Kente shop. It was good because there were a lot of jobs in the town, unlike many other places that we visit. But it was not so good because a lot of young boys would decide to weave Kente instead of go to school, and some of the kids that we saw weaving were probably around 11 years old.

Seeing the business centre there was really great because it was the first centre that we've seen that is pretty successful. There is a great employee there, May, who makes invitation cards and funeral announcements, photocopies and typing there. There is definately high demand here, and today the owner bought a photocopier to add to the centre so we were happy to see it growing.

Then, since Sunday, Lindsey and I moved to Accra to meet up with Andrea and Shyam, the two Engineers Without Borders interns that are working on the project with us. We spent all of yesterday and today brainstorming and discussing our role on the project and how we could best contribute. It was intense but really productive and so I'm feeling energized about our next few weeks.

Our next step is to move to Eastern and Volta Regions to visit four more centres and then we'll be almost done our stay! I can't believe how time flies.




A boy weaving Kente. These looms were all over Adanwomase. Around every corner there were one or three, often with tunes blasting and the wooden looms clacking.








On our midsummer retreat, the day we decided to "dress up and go out" ie shower and stay out past 8:30pm.

















Lindsey, driving around northern Ghana.










The girls at Mole in our new cloths.









I realize that this post is very short and so I will leave you with a funny story in repayment. People in Ghana find it extremely difficult to pronounced the name: Lindsey. One conversation went like this...

Man: Beautiful sistas, what is your name?
AB: Amy
Man: Amy?
AB: Yes, Amy.
Man: And you, my sister, what is your name?
LF: Lindsey.
Man: Nancy?
LF: No, Lind-sey.
Man: Winton?
LF: Lindsey.
Man: Liza?
LF: No. LIND..........SEY!
Man: Oh oh oh I see I see.........Lintcream!
LF: .....Yes.

No comments: